5164 History

Number 5164, a member of the 5101 class, was built at Swindon and was completed in October 1930 as part of Lot 259 at a cost of £4,220.

Allocation from 1930 until 1956/7 was to the Wolverhampton District, principally to Tyseley, but also to Stafford Road and Wellington.

Duties included the haulage of local trains from Birmingham (Snow Hill and Moor Street) to Leamington and Stratford-upon-Avon, also from Snow Hill to Stourbridge and Kidderminster, even venturing on to the SVR also Dudley, Wolverhampton Low Level and Wellington.

After 1957 5164 was at Newton Abbott and worked local trains to Exeter St Davids, Moretonhampstead, Kingswear and Plymouth North Road. 5164 also worked as a banker on Dainton and Rattery Banks.

Withdrawn on 5th April 1963, after 33 years in service and with 811,367 miles to it's credit it was sold to Woodham Bros. of Barry on 9th October 1963 and arrived there shortly afterwards.